Irvine Alien Smuggling Lawyer
Knowledgeable and Compassionate Legal Protection
The moment you walk through the doors of the Law Office of Diane C. Bass, A Professional Law Corporation, you can be confident that you will be working directly with an experienced and knowledgeable defense attorney. Attorney Diane C. Bass has handled some of the largest cases in Central District California, and she seeks to foster a compassionate and understanding environment for her clients.
What Is Criminal Alien Smuggling?
It is a federal crime to aid, sell, encourage or induce illegal entry of an alien, or non-citizen, into the United States. There are a number of actions that can be considered alien smuggling under the law, including:
- Smuggling – bringing or making arrangements to bring illegal aliens into the U.S. (e.g., hiding someone in their car while driving across the border)
- Transporting – knowingly facilitating an illegal border crossing with an illegal alien
- Harboring – intentionally concealing or harboring an illegal alien to help them stay in the country
- Encouraging or Inducing – employers, family members, or advocates aid or assist illegal alien crossing
- Hiring – an employer hires, recruits, or refers a person knowing that they are illegal or continues to employ a person after discovering their illegal status
Note that if the person convicted of smuggling, harboring, or helping an undocumented alien get into the United States is not a citizen themselves, they will likely be forbidden from returning to the United States. An experienced alien smuggling lawyer can develop a strong defense in federal criminal court and immigration court in such a case.
Penalties and Sentencing Guidelines
Depending on the nature of the smuggling offense, a person could face a range of jail time. If the alien smuggling was done for the purpose of commercial advantage or private financial gain, they will face certain fines and imprisonment of up to 10 years. If the person causes serious bodily injury to, or places in jeopardy the life of, any person while smuggling an alien into the country, they will face certain fines and up to 20 years of imprisonment. In the case that the act of alien smuggling results in the death of any person, the defendant will face death or imprisonment for any term of years or for life, as well as specific fines set by the court.
The penalties for a person who, during any period of 12 months, knowingly hires for employment at least 10 individuals with actual knowledge that the individuals are aliens, are certain fines imposed by the court and imprisonment for up to 5 years.
The sentence may otherwise increase by up to 10 years if:
- the offense was part of an ongoing commercial organization or enterprise;
- aliens were transported in groups of 10 or more; and
- aliens were transported in a manner that endangered their lives or they presented a life-threatening health risk to people in the United States.
Questions? Contact Attorney Diane C. Bass Immediately.
If you have been accused of alien smuggling in Irvine, California, seek an experienced lawyer immediately to get started on your defense. The penalties for alien smuggling are serious, especially when alien smuggling is a serious federal crime. Attorney Diane C. Bass has years of experience and prominent cases at the federal level under her belt, so she can effectively guide you through the federal legal process. It is best to work with an advocate as experienced as Attorney Bass, as she will apply her years of professional skill and knowledge to your federal defense in court as you combat alien smuggling accusations.
Over 25 Years of Criminal Defense Legal Experience
Top-Rated & Award-Winning Legal Representation
Extensive Knowledge & Experience With Federal Cases
An Outstanding Reputation Amongst Clients & Peers
Handled Some of the Largest Cases in the History of the Central District of California
Your Initial 1-Hour Consultation Is Free